Preparation Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Cooking Time: (Based on a ¾in thick steak)
Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
Medium: 4 minutes on each side
Well done: 6 minutes on each side
2 sirloin, rib-eye or rump steaks
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 oz chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
5 tablespoons good, hot beef stock
3 tablespoons Madeira wine
5 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- Heat a large non-stick frying or griddle pan.
- Season the steaks, brush with oil on both sides
- Cook according to your preference (see above).
- Transfer to warm serving plates and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
Reduce the heat under the pan and add the mushrooms.
Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the stock, increase the heat and boil for 3 minutes until slightly reduced.
Add the wine and cream and reduce for a further 3-4 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
Stir in the chives.
- Serve the steaks with the sauce and seasonal vegetables.