Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours (30 minutes per 1 lb. plus 30 minutes)
3 1/2 lb boned and rolled pork loin or leg joint
1 teaspoons oil
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
2 small pears, peeled, cored and finely chopped
2 tablespoons pear cider
For the stuffing:
8 0z. prepared pork and herb sausages
2 tablespoons freshly chopped sage leaves
2 small pears, peeled cored and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time. Dry the rind and score deeply with a sharp knife. Rub the joint with a little oil and season.
- Place the joint on a metal rack in a large roasting tin and open roast for the calculated cooking time. 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the pears and continue to cook.
- To make the stuffing, remove the sausage meat from the skins of the sausages and place into a mixing bowl. Add the sage and the remaining chopped pears and mix thoroughly.
- Take large spoonfuls of the mixture and shape into balls. Place on a baking tray and cook in the oven for around 20-25 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Remove the pork joint from the oven, cover with foil and allow to rest before carving.
- To make the pear jus, pour the meat juices from the rested pork into a small pan, add the pear cider and boil rapidly for a few minutes to reduce slightly.
- Serve the pork with the stuffing balls, seasonal vegetables, roasted pears and pear jus.