Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 4-6 hours on HIGH, 6-12 hours on LOW in a slow cooker
1lb 2oz. brisket mini joint
1/4 ounce dry porcini mushrooms
1 cup good, hot chicken or beef stock
1 tablespoon canola oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
2 small garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary
1 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Put the mushrooms in the hot stock and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Remove the mushrooms, roughly chop and set aside separately from the stock.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, season the brisket on both sides and brown on both sides. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic to the non-stick pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the rosemary, the reserved mushrooms, stock, mushroom liquid, tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and pour into the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on HIGH or 6-10 hours on LOW, or according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with herbed mash potatoes and seasonal vegetables.