Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
2 lbs lean brisket joint (unrolled)
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon chipotle paste
7 oz. good, hot beef stock
1 x 15 oz. can chopped tomatoes with herbs
2 tablespoons runny honey
3 tablespoons Bourbon whiskey, optional
For the Sweet Onions:
2 red onions, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
Bread rolls, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 300°F
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and season all over with salt and pepper. Brown the joint on all sides and transfer to a large flame/ovenproof dish with a lid.
- Add the chipotle paste, stock, tomatoes, honey and Bourbon (if used). Cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 3-3½ hours until the beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sweet onions; put the onions in a small pan with the water and sweat the onions under a moderate heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar and sugar. Continue to cook the onions for a further 10-15 minutes until the soft and syrupy.
- Transfer the beef to a clean chopping board, reserving the sauce and `pull’ apart by securing with a fork and shredding the meat with a second fork.
- Pile the shredded brisket in rolls of your choice, spoon over the sauce and serve with the onions.
The brisket can be reheated on the barbecue. Alternatively, season brisket, cover and cook on the BBQ (indirect) for 3-4 hours. Transfer to a cast iron pot, add the wet ingredients, cover and cook over indirect heat for a further 3-4 hours for a optimum internal temperature of 200°F – perfect for pulling/shredding.