Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time for flat iron steaks:
Rare: 2 minutes on each side
Medium Rare: 3-4 minutes on each side
Medium: 5-7 minutes on each side
1lb lean flat iron, sirloin or rump steaks
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
1 x 130oz pack filled pasta shapes (tomato and ricotta is good)
2oz fresh or frozen peas, blanched in boiling water
1 small zuccini, grated
8 plum or cherry tomatoes, quartered
For the Chilli and Cliantro Dressing:
1 large handful freshly chopped cliantro
Pinch dried chilli flakes
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin rapeseed or olive oil
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Remove the steak from the fridge at least 1 hour before cooking, transfer to a shallow dish and bring up to room temperature.
- Place the steaks on a chopping board, season on both sides and brush with the oil. Cook on a prepared barbecue or under a preheated moderate grill according to your preference. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes. This is very important.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain, cool and transfer to a large bowl. Add the peas, courgettes and tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing; place all the ingredients into a screw-topped jar. Shake well and set aside.
- Slice the steaks diagonally and toss the strips in the salad with any meat juices from the plate. Shake the dressing, spoon over the salad and serve.
Flat iron steak is best when cooked to either medium rare or medium. For best results with flat iron, cover with foil and rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Tip: For sirloin or rump steak following the cooking times below:
(Based on a ¾inch thick steak)
Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
Medium: 4 minutes on each side
Well done: 6 minutes on each side