Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 4–5 minutes
1lb New York strip steaks
1 x 7oz pack ready to eat freekeh or 4oz cracked freekeh
18 fl oz good, hot vegetable stock
1 red bell pepper, cored, deseeded and diced
1 yellow bell pepper, cored, deseeded and diced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons canola or olive oil
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Chimichurri:
Large handful of freshly chopped coriander, finely chopped
Large handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
Juice of 1 small lemon
1 teaspoon runny honey
- Remove the steaks from the fridge at least 20 minutes before cooking to bring up to room temperature.
- If using cracked freekeh, cook according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside.
For the Chimichurri: put all the ingredients into a small bowl, season, mix together to combine and set aside. Mix 4 tablespoons of the herb mixture into the freekeh along with the red and yellow bell pepper.
- Heat a non-stick griddle pan until hot.
- In a small bowl mix together the cumin, turmeric and oil. Season the steaks and rub with the spice mixture on both sides.
Cook the steaks for 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally, then thinly slice.
- Spoon the freekeh onto a plate, arrange the steak on top, spoon over the remaining chimichurri and serve.