Preparation Time: 25 minutes plus 15 minutes chilling in the freezer
Cooking Time: No cooking required
8-10 oz lean beef tenderloin, centre cut and trimmed
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
4 oz arugula leaves, rinsed
1 lemon, quartered
For the Mustard Dressing:
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2-3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- Chill 4-6 serving plates in the refrigerator. Meanwhile, prepare the beef; loosely wrap the fillet in foil or baking parchment and place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- To make the mustard dressing, place all the ingredients into a screw-topped jar and shake well.
- Remove the beef from the freezer and slice as thinly as possible across the grain of the meat.
- Place each slice between two sheets of cling film and using a rolling pin or meat mallet flatten evenly into wafer-thin slices.
- Stack the slices, still covered in cling film and chill until required.
- Arrange the beef slices evenly, slightly overlapping on the chilled plates, season, drizzle over the dressing and garnish with the capers, rocket leaves and lemon wedges before serving.
Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
12 oz lean ground beef
2 tablespoons oil
2 medium potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced and dried
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1-2 teaspoons ground paprika
2 large zucchini, topped, tailed and very thinly sliced lengthways
1 x 9 oz jar prepared grilled capsicum peppers, drained
2 oz mild hard cheese (e.g. Cheddar), grated
4 medium eggs, beaten
Fresh rocket or watercress leaves, to garnish
For the Parsley Pesto:
4 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
1 oz grated Parmesan cheese
1 oz raw cashew nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Cook the potato slices for 10 minutes, turning regularly until golden brown. Remove and drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- In the same pan, cook the mince with the garlic, seasoning and paprika for 5-7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Lay half the potatoes over the base of a 8 inch non-stick square cake tin, followed by the zucchini, peppers and mince mixture. Add the remaining potatoes then the cheese.
- Season the eggs and pour into the tin. Leave for 1-2 minutes for the egg mixture to settle.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes then set aside to cool slightly for 15-20 minutes then cut into bite-size pieces and serve warm.
- Meanwhile prepare the pesto; place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste and serve with the bites.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time (3/4 inch steak):
Rare: 2 1/2 minutes on each side
Medium: 4 minutes on each side
Well done: 6 minutes on each side
2 lean sirloin, rump or rib-eye steaks
1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, crushed
1 tablespoon oil
For the Chili Butter:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 inch piece fresh red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- In a small bowl mix together the butter with the fresh chili. Form the butter into a sausage shape and wrap in cling film or foil and refrigerate until required.
- Place the crushed peppercorns on a large plate and coat the steaks on both sides.
- Heat the oil in a large griddle or frying pan and cook as preferred.
- Top with a disc of chilli butter and serve immediately with a crisp green salad, sweet potato wedges or thinly cut roasted parsnips.